You can dip just about any veggie you like into this delicious bread dip – and there's no problem with tearing apart the cob at the end. Who could blame you?
- 1 large regular white cob bread loaf or multigrain sourdough cob loaf (450g)
- cucumbers, cut into matchsticks, to serve
- raw carrot, cut into matchsticks, to serve
- 150 g short-cut bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch English spinach (350g), trimmed, washed, finely chopped
- 3 green spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g block cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 200 g Greek feta, crumbled
- 300 ml tub sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
- Using a serrated knife, cut the top quarter off cob loaf to form a lid. Pull away the soft bread from inside the loaf, leaving a 2cm-thick shell. Tear bread and lid into large pieces. Place loaf, lid and bread pieces on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove.
- To make dip, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add bacon. Stir for about 5 minutes, or until light golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Return pan to heat. Add spinach, onions and garlic. Stir for about 1 minute, or until spinach is wilted. Drain off excess liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Add bacon. Cool.
- Process both cheeses, cream and juice in a food processor until smooth. Stir into spinach mixture with dill.
- Just before serving, spoon mixture into loaf. Serve with torn bread and vegetable dippers.
We used carrot and cucumber with this dip. You can also use zucchini sticks, red and yellow capsicum strips, sliced radishes and cherry tomatoes.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||21.1 g|
|- Sugars||7.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.0 g|