Everyone loves Massaman curry. And seeing as this one can be put on the slow cooker all day, it's perfect to serve up when you're having guests for dinner!
- ⅓ cup peanut oil
- 2 kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ cup Massaman curry paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 4- 6 large Desiree potatoes, peeled, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- steamed rice, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- roasted peanuts, to garnish
- fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add beef in four batches, adding 1 tbsp of the remaining oil with each batch. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer to a removable bowl of a 5 to 6-litre capacity slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and ginger to same frying pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add stock, milk, sugar and sauce. Bring to boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cinnamon stick. Cook, covered, a further 2 hours, or until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Serve with steamed rice and lemon wedges. Garnish with peanuts and coriander.
Remove cinnamon stick before serving. This dish can be cooked on high in Step 3 for 2 hours. Continue to cook on high following instructions to end of Step 4.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||22.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||49.0 g|
|- Sugars||8.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.1 g|