Recipe by: Create Bake Make
It's hard to alter the already-perfect Aussie lamington recipe, but Create Bake Make has given it one very delicious update – a chocolate sponge middle!
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup plain flour
- 70 g butter, melted
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 75 g butter, melted
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy and has approximately tripled in volume
- Meanwhile, sift the cocoa and plain flour into a separate bowl.
- Sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold through with a spoon. Add the melted butter and fold through until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and place into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow the chocolate sponge to completely cool before continuing to the next step.
- Place the desiccated coconut into a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa in a separate bowl.
- Add the melted butter and boiling water, and whisk to combine.
- Cut the cooled chocolate sponge into nine squares and coat it in the chocolate icing before tossing in the desiccated coconut. Place the chocolate lamingtons onto a wire rack to set. Repeat until all lamingtons are coated.
• It’s very important to make sure your chocolate sponge is completely cool before cutting into squares.
• You can also make your chocolate sponge a day in advance and this will actually make it easier to cut and coat with the chocolate icing.
• If you find your chocolate icing is too thick (you want it to be quite runny so that it’s easier to dip the chocolate sponge into), simply add an extra 1/4 cup of boiling water and mix to combine until you get the right consistency. Also if your icing begins to set, add some of the extra boiling water and mix to get the right consistency again.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||78.3 g|
|- Sugars||62.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.7 g|