Now one of your bakery favourites, the vegemite scroll, can be made at home from scratch, and in under 40 minutes! They're best enjoyed warm from the oven…
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50 g butter, diced
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 tbsp Vegemite, or to taste
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella or tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the flours and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub in well with your fingertips.
- Gradually add milk, stirring, until a soft dough forms, adding an extra tablespoon if needed. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Roll the dough out to a 40cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Spread Vegemite over surface of dough and sprinkle with 1¼ cups of the cheese. Roll the dough, from the longest side, to enclose the filling. Trim ends and cut into 12 slices. Place onto tray and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 18-20 min or until cooked. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Scrolls may also be eaten warm.
Easy to freeze: wrap baked and cooled scrolls in a double layer of plastic wrap, then wrap in foil. Pop into a large airtight container or large heavy-duty snap lock bag. Freeze for 3-4 months. Allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight or remove foil and plastic wrap, cover loosely with paper towel and defrost in the microwave oven. Serve warm.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||24.0 g|
|- Sugars||1.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.4 g|