Squid skewers with paprika, chilli and lemon are served with a sweetened fennel, radish and apple coleslaw, in this sophisticated entree or light main.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 32 small or 16 medium squid hoods, cleaned (see tips, below)
- 2 - 3 lemons, halved, to serve
- 32 wooden skewers (optional) soaked in cold water
Radish and apple coleslaw
- 1 fennel bulb, stalks removed
- 1 bunch radishes
- 2 green apples, skin left on
- 2 tsp roughly torn dill
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- To make the marinade, combine olive oil, paprika, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt in a shallow dish. Take the calamari hoods and, using scissors, cut along the side of each hood and open out, rinsing under cold water to remove any remaining intestines. If using medium-sized squid hoods, cut in half. Leave smaller hoods as a single piece. Add to marinade, turn to coat, then set aside in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours.
- Make coleslaw 30 minutes before the squid is ready to cook. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice fennel and place in a bowl of iced water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice radishes, cut apples into matchsticks and combine in a large bowl. Drain fennel and add to the radishes, along with the dill. Whisk together extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and sugar and drizzle over coleslaw. Season with sea salt andground black pepper and toss to combine at least 10 minutes before serving to allow coleslaw to soak up the dressing. Chill until needed.
- Preheat barbecue grill plate (or chargrill pan) to high. Remove calamari from marinade and thread onto skewers (the calamari can also be cooked without skewers), pressing them flat on the barbecue plate occasionally during cooking.
- Cook calamari for about 2 minutes on each side until just cooked through; do not overcook. Grill lemon halves, cut side down at the same time, until grill marks appear. 5. Serve calamari immediately with coleslaw and grilled lemon halves.
Ask the fishmonger to clean and prepare the squid so they are ready to use.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||11.0 g|
|- Sugars||7.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.8 g|