Take the classic drink and add pineapple for extra freshness, zest and a taste of the tropics. Pan-fried, pineapple is even sweeter – a true summer treat!
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, thinly shredded
- 4 shots white rum
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 limes, sliced into thin rounds
- ¼ ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 750 ml soda water, chilled (for a sweeter option, serve with pineapple and coconut flavoured sparkling drink)
Caramelised pineapple skewers
- ½ small ripe pineapple, skin on, cored, cut into 4 long wedges
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Put sugar, lime leaf and 125ml water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make Caramelised pineapple skewers, put pineapple on a plate. Scatter both sides with sugar. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Pan-fry pineapple for 1 minute each side or until golden and caramelised. Remove from pan and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Thread onto skewers.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the syrup each into 4 glasses. Reserve remaining for another use. Divide rum, lime juice, lime rounds, pineapple and mint between glasses. Gently muddle using the handle of a wooden spoon (see tips, below). Add ice and soda water to taste. To serve, garnish with skewers.
‘Muddling’ involves gently crushing ingredients to extract the essential oils or juices. Be careful not to smash them into pulp.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||42.3 g|
|- Sugars||37.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.9 g|