A great option for entertaining gluten-free, these parmesan cheese, pan-fried polenta canapés are topped with feta cheese and a flavoursome pea puree.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 50 g soft butter
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 150 g Danish feta, thinly sliced
- micro herbs, to garnish
Pea & artichoke puree
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups (260g) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp chicken stock or water
- ½ cup (110g) quartered marinated artichokes in oil, darined
- Salt and pepper, to season
- To make crispy polenta, grease, then line a 20cm x 30cm lamington tin with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges. Place stock and water in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add polenta. Stir frequently for about 8 minutes or until thick. Stir in parmesan and butter until melted. Immediately spread in prepared pan and smooth surface. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate until cold. This can be done the day before.
- Remove polenta from tin. Cut into 4cm squares. Heat a 3mm-deep layer of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add half of the polenta and cook for 5 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining polenta.
- To make pea and artichoke puree, heat oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add peas and stock. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until peas are tender. Transfer mixture to a food processor. Add artichoke, season, then process until just smooth. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- To serve, cut feta slices into squares small enough to fit on top of polenta squares. Arrange polenta on a serving board. Top with feta and a heaped teaspoon of the pea and artichoke puree. Garnish with micro herbs. Serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||3.1 g|
|- Sugars||0.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.5 g|