Add some Aussie flair to party pies with Vegemite. Adding a salty edge, it's such a delicious combo, you'll be wondering why you haven't tried it before!
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 500 g lean beef mince
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- ⅓ cup traditional gravy powder
- 3 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium high. Add onion and mince and cook, breaking up lumps with a spoon for 5 min. Stir in tomato sauce, Vegemite, gravy powder and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Add 1 cup boiling water, stir to combine, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 min or until thickened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease 12 holes of a standard size muffin pan (⅓ cup capacity) with cooking spray. Using an 11cm round pastry cutter, cut out 12 shortcrust pastry rounds to line holes. Fill with meat.
- Using a 7.5cm cutter, cut out 12 puff pastry rounds. Brush edges with water and place over pies, crimping edges with a fork to seal. Use leftover pastry and star cutters to cut pastry stars and place on top of pies. Brush with egg yolk and bake for 25-30 min or until pastry is golden. Serve with tomato sauce.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||46.3 g|
|- Sugars||1.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|