Don't get us wrong, we love the classic Aussie lamington, but this cake twist is incredible! With layers of chocolate ganache & spongey meringue, it's delish!
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup thickened cream, whipped
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup thickened cream
- Invert bases of two 20cm round springform pans. Grease and line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add sifted flour, coconut and milk in two batches. Stir until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pans. Smooth over tops.
- To make meringue, beat whites and cream of tartar in same clean, small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until dissolved. Beat for a further 2 minutes, or until smooth and glossy. Divide evenly over cake mixture in pans. Smooth over tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until cakes are cooked when tested and meringue is crisp. Stand in pans for 15 minutes. Remove sides of pans. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- To make ganache, stir chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water until smooth. Remove. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Place ¼ cup of ganache into a snap-lock bag. Squeeze into one corner. Twist bag and set aside for decoration. Refrigerate remaining ganache for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until thickened.
- To assemble, sandwich cakes together with chilled ganache and whipped cream. Snip one corner of snap-lock bag. Drizzle ganache over meringue.
Cakes can be made up to several hours ahead. Assemble and decorate just before serving.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||55.9 g|
|- Sugars||42.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.8 g|