Full of potassium, zucchini is a delicious gluten-free alternative to pasta and pairs amazingly with meatballs. It's a great way to up your vegie intake.
- 400 g lean beef mince
- 1 large egg
- 8 cloves garlic, 1 finely grated, remaining sliced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 500 g passata
- 600 ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g frozen peas or edamame, thawed
- 2 large zucchini, cut into noodles with a spiraliser or peeler
- Put mince, egg, grated garlic and oregano in a large bowl. Season. Mix well then roll into 16 balls.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, carefully moving them around pan, until browned all over. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat slightly and add fennel, carrots and sliced garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in passata, stock and balsamic. Stir well then return meatballs to pan. Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make zoodles, heat oil in a nonstick pan over a medium heat. Add edamame or peas and stir-fry until heated through and softened. Remove from heat and stir through zucchini noodles.
- Divide zoodles among serving plates. Top with meatball mixture. To serve, scatter with reserved fennel fronds.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||24.5 g|
|- Sugars||17.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||8.4 g|