Throw an avocado and spinach in your smoothie to up the nutrients and healthy fats. Top with seed mix and summer fruits for irresistible flavour and crunch!
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small ripe mango, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100 g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 250 ml skim milk
- 1 tbsp no sugar added chunky peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- chopped banana, to serve
- chopped mango, to serve
- fresh blueberries, to serve
- fresh raspberries, to serve
- chia seeds, to sprinkle
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp linseeds
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- Line a small oven tray with baking paper. Arrange banana slices on top then put in freezer for 2 hours or until frozen solid (see tips, below).
- To make seed mix, preheat oven to 160°C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Put seeds, coconut and almonds in a large bowl. Add cinnamon and drizzle over honey. Toss until everything is well coated. Spread on prepared tray in an even layer. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, for 10 minutes or until seeds are lightly toasted. Set aside to cool (see tips, below).
- Put frozen banana, avocado, mango, spinach, milk, peanut butter, and honey in a blender and whizz to a thick smoothie consistency. You may need to scrape down sides of blender with a spoon a few times (see tips, below).
- Divide green smoothie between 4 bowls and arrange chopped mixed fruit on top. Scatter each bowl with 1 tbsp of the seed mix. To serve, sprinkle chia seeds on top.
In Step 1, once you’ve frozen banana slices, you can put them in a zip-lock bag and keep in freezer for up to 3 months. The seed mix recipe makes enough for 8–10 servings, so store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 month. For a runnier smoothie, add extra milk.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||41.0 g|
|- Sugars||32.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||12.2 g|