Enjoy a chicken salad with a little bit of Vietnamese spice – fresh Asian greens, chilli & chicken fillets with lime, coconut, basil, Vietnamese mint & ginger.
- 4 eschalots, peeled
- 2 lemon grass stalks, white part only
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 x 8cm piece ginger
- 600 g skinless chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 pomelo, segmented and torn (see tips, below)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch red shisho, leaves picked (see tips, below)
- ½ bunch mint, leaves picked
- ½ bunch fresh Vietnamese mint, leaves picked (see tips, below)
- ½ bunch Thai basil, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 3 small fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- ¼ cup durian fruit
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup fresh coconut, coarsely grated
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound eschalots, lemongrass, red chillies, peppercorns, 5 of the garlic cloves and ½ of the ginger until a paste forms. Alternatively, put in small bowl of a food processor and pulse. Put chicken and paste in a medium bowl. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Slice remaining ginger into fine batons. Put in a large bowl with pomelo, sprouts, shiso and herbs.
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound palm sugar, green chillies, durian and remaining garlic until a paste forms. Stir in lime juice, fish sauce and ½ the peanut oil until well combined.
- Heat sesame oil and remaining peanut oil in a wok over a high heat. Add chicken pieces, stir-frying for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Drizzle ½ of the dressing over salad and toss. Fold in chicken then arrange in bowls with a scattering of coconut. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
If you can’t find pomelo, use ruby red grapefruit. Salad leaves can be substituted for red shiso.
Find Vietnamese mint, thai basil and canned and fresh durian at Asian grocers.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||300.2 g|
|- Sugars||269.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||11.0 g|