Make the most of summer's juicy berries, and use fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries in this 5-ingredient jam – jam can last up to six months!
- 1 vanilla bean
- 250 g punnet fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 125 g fresh blueberries
- 125 g fresh raspberries
- 500 g packet jam sugar
- Place two small plates in the freezer for testing the jam.
- Using a sharp knife, cut vanilla bean in half lengthways. Scrape out seeds. Add bean and seeds to a large, heavy-based saucepan with remaining ingredients. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Boil rapidly, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until jam reaches setting point. Remove from heat.
- To test jam, place 1 tsp of the jam onto a chilled plate. Run your finger or push a teaspoon through jam. If it wrinkles and doesn’t run together, jam is at setting point and is ready to be bottled. If jam is still runny, continue to cook until it reaches this point.
- Carefully remove vanilla bean with tongs. Stand for 2 minutes. Pour hot jam into two sterilised jars (1½-cup capacity) and seal. Store unopened jars in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
To sterilise jars, place clean jars and lids in a stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Boil for 15 minutes. Drain on a wire rack. Transfer to a slow oven (150C) for a few minutes to dry completely, then remove from oven.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||534.1 g|
|- Sugars||527.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||15.4 g|