A Mediterranean feast for six – grilled chicken seasoned with oregano, garlic & red wine vinegar on toasted pita bread with lemon mayonnaise & a tomato salad.
- 1/5 kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 x 22cm metal skewers
- warmed pita bread, to serve
Preserved lemon mayonnaise
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped preserved lemon
- 4 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- To make mayonnaise, combine both ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss chicken in large bowl with oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Thread chicken onto skewers.
- Heat an oiled char-grill plate over a high heat. Add skewers in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
- To make salad, arrange tomato on a serving plate. Top with onion. Sprinkle with paprika and scatter over parsley.
- Serve with salad, mayonnaise and pita.
Instead of chicken, you can use diced leg lamb. Preserved lemon is available from gourmet fruit and vegie stores, or can be replaced with finely grated lemon rind.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||9.4 g|
|- Sugars||3.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.6 g|