Chocoholics rejoice! Now you can enjoy a choc hazelnut spread that’s nutritious (and just a little indulgent). Spread it on toast or smother it over fruit.
- 150 g whole hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 1 ½ tbsp almond oil or sunflower oil
- 35 g (⅓ cup) Nestle Baker's Choice cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 100 g pitted dates, finely chopped
- 185 ml water
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced). Spread hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and pepitas over an oven tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until hazelnuts are toasted and aromatic. Set aside.
- Put oil, cocoa powder, sugar, dates and water in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the mixture is well combined. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Put hazelnut mixture in a small food processor and process until smooth. Add cocoa mixture and process until almost smooth (it will have a slightly grainy texture due to the nuts). Transfer to a small airtight container. Cover and refrigerate.
The recipe ingredients can be halved to make 1 cup of spread. Both half quantities and full keep in the fridge for up to 2 months. Use a clean spoon or knife each time you have some spread as this will help with the keeping time.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||127.2 g|
|- Sugars||107.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||36.7 g|