These smoked beans with speck, smoked paprika, diced tomatoes, toast and eggs make a special breakfast for six – ideal for a family birthday or weekend morning.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g speck, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup La Morena chillies/ peppers chipotles in adobo sauce or 1 tsp Mexican chilli powder (see tips, below)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 400 g canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 6 thick slices wholegrain bread or light rye bread, toasted
- 2 avocados, halved, peeled, thinly sliced
- 6 poached or fried eggs, to serve
- micro herbs or chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add speck, cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove speck from pan, draining oil back into pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until soft. Add paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Return speck to pan. Add tomatoes, chiles with 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce from can, water and maple syrup. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until thickened. Season. Beans can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the fridge. Add ¼ cup water when reheating.
- Spoon beans onto toast. Top with avocado and egg and sprinkle with micro herbs or parsley to serve.
La Morena chiles/peppers chipotle in adobo sauce are dried red jalapeno chile hydrated in a smokey chipotle sauce, available in some supermarkets or gourmet grocers in the Mexican section. Alternatively, use 1 teaspoon of Mexican chilli powder.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||38.3 g|
|- Sugars||12.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||11.3 g|