This sticky rice dessert has a sweet and creamy coconut sauce, and is served with fresh mango, pomegranate seeds and flaked coconut - it's dairy-free, too!
- 1 cup black rice (Forbidden rice)
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped palm sugar
- 270 ml coconut milk
- 2 mangoes, cheeks removed, peeled, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 2 tsp cornflour
- ⅓ cup finely chopped palm sugar
- Soak rice overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place rice in a saucepan with water and salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer rapidly for 40 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Add sugars and milk and stir over a medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil and sugar dissolves. Reduce to medium-low and cook, stirring for about 15 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, to make coconut sauce, combine 2 tablespoons of the coconut cream with cornflour until smooth. Combine remaining coconut cream and sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add cornflour mixture. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly if preferred.
- Divide rice between bowls and pour over spoonfuls of coconut sauce. Top with mango slices, sprinkle with pomegranate and coconut. Serve immediately.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||46.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||99.1 g|
|- Sugars||60.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.5 g|