This recipe is proudly sponsored by
Canned tuna becomes a fabulous dinnertime hack in this delicious tuna pithivier. Along with leek, mushrooms and cream, it makes for a delicious family meal.
- 50 g butter
- ½ leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 100 g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ⅓ cup thickened cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 185 g tin Sirena canned tuna in springwater, drained and flaked
- 100 g fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Heat butter in a frypan over medium heat until melted. Add leeks, mushrooms and thyme leaves, and cook, stirring, until leeks are transparent (about 3 minutes). Add the cream and stir until the cream is boiling, then turn down the heat to low and simmer, stirring, until the cream has thickened and clings to the ingredients in the pan. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the tuna and spinach. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Cut a 22cm circle from one puff pastry sheet, and cute a 24cm circle from the other. Lay the smaller circle on a lined baking tray and top with the cooled filling, ensuring that you leave a 1cm border around the edge of the pastry. Cover the dome of filling with the larger circle of puff pastry. Press the pastry onto the filling to ensure a snug fit then push down firmly all around the edge to seal the pithivier. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C if using a fan-forced oven).
- Remove the pithivier from the fridge and brush all over with the egg yolk. Cut a steam hole in the centre, then with the point of a paring knife, gently score the pastry with a series of curved lines from the centre hole to the edges of the pastry all the way around the pithivier.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.
If you wanted more filling, you can add another 95g of tuna in springwater.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||18.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||48.5 g|
|- Sugars||1.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.1 g|