This easy, low-fat and gluten free beef casserole is freezer-friendly, meaning you can defrost it as you need it! Talk about delicious and healthy fast-food.
- 750 g beef chuck steak, fat trimmed and diced into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp jarred crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 500 g pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 480 g canned roasted red peppers in brine, drained and chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole dish (cast-iron if possible) over high heat. Season beef with pepper and working in 2 batches, brown beef for 4-5 min. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook, for 2-3 min, stirring often. Stir in the five-spice powder, then add the star anise and fish sauce, cook stirring for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, then return the beef to the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hr, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin, cover again and cook for a further 20 min or until tender.
- Add the roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes and trimmed beans. Cook uncovered for a further 5-8 min or until tomatoes and beans are just tender. Remove and discard star anise. Season with lime juice if desired and serve garnished with coriander sprigs.
Freeze casseroles and soups in family-size or small portions. Cool food and freeze promptly. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw and reheat until piping hot.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.6 g|
|- Sugars||11.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.0 g|