Recipe by: Create Bake Make
Oranges give real zest to Create Bake Make's easy orange cake! Passed on from her mother, the buttery cake is easy to make and can be frozen for up to 6 weeks.
- 125 g butter, softened
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- grated rind 1 large orange
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp milk
- 45 g butter, softened
- grated rind of ½ orange
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line the base and sides of a 22cm x 10cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar and orange rind in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8 minutes until it's pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until completely combined.
- Add the flour and turn your electric mixer onto a low speed, before slowly adding the orange juice and milk. Beat until the mixture has combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and lightly smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Place the cake into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. Every oven is different, so test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the loaf. If the skewer comes out clean, the loaf is cooked.
- After removing from oven, cool cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the softened butter, orange rind and icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the orange juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cooled cake and leave for 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.
If the orange icing begins to set before you have put it onto the cake, just add a few extra drops of orange juice or water and stir to combine.
This orange cake can be frozen when it’s either iced and un-iced. Simply cover it with a layer of baking paper and then foil. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||61.8 g|
|- Sugars||40.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.1 g|