Take your meatballs international and add some South African flavour with boerewor sausages and smokey black beans – it's a freezer-friendly main, too!
- 450 g boerewors sausages
- 1 chorizo sausage, finely chopped in a food processor
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 800 g canned diced tomatoes
- 425 g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Squeeze sausage meat from casings and place into a bowl. Add ⅔ of chopped chorizo and mix to combine, using wet hands. Roll into small walnut size balls.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook meatballs for 5 min. Remove and set aside. Add remaining chorizo to pan and cook for 2 min or until crispy. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Add a dash of oil to pan. Cook onion and garlic for 3 min. Stir in sugar, paprika, vinegar and tomato paste, cook 1 min. Add tomatoes, beans and ½ cup water. Bring to the boil. Return meatballs, reduce to medium-low and simmer 15-20 min. Sprinkle chorizo over the top and serve with cooked rice, sour cream, paprika and coriander.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||12.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||24.3 g|
|- Sugars||10.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||13.5 g|