With extra-lean beef mince, herbs, tomato, beans and creamy feta cheese, this colourful East-meets-West mince mash-up will add some spice to your life.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ brown onion, finely chopped
- 200 g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cube Massel salt-reduced chicken-style stock powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tbsp currants
- 2 x 120 g canned four bean mix, rinsed and drained
- zest of ½ lemon
- 50 g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 20 g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted (see notes, below)
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Increase heat to high. Add mince and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until mince is browned. Add cumin, coriander and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Put stock cube and boiling water in a heatproof jug and stir to combine. Add tomato, capsicum, currants and stock to pan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and lemon zest. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach. Top with feta, parsley and pine nuts to serve.
To toast the pine nuts, cook in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
PER SERVE 1978kJ,
protein 41g, total fat
15g (sat. fat 3.6g),
carbs 34g, fibre 14g,
• Carb exchanges 21⁄3
• GI estimate low
• Gluten free
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||27.3 g|
|- Sugars||17.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||13.2 g|