Simply delicious pasta dinner – crispy, oven-baked bacon with pumpkin, tomatoes and zucchini, all tossed through a creamy pasta with garlic and parsley.
- 8 lean bacon rashers
- 600 g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 410 g canned chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup light cooking cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 375 g pasta
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Place bacon in a single layer on an oiled oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned. Cool slightly. Cut into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, boil pumpkin in a stockpot of water until very tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. Return pumpkin to pot with tomatoes and cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Stir in zucchini then drain, reserving 1/3 cup of cooking water. Stir pasta and cooking water into sauce with parsley.
- Serve pasta topped with bacon. Garnish with pepper.
Try seasoning sauce with a pinch of ground nutmeg.
For a smooth sauce, mash pumpkin before adding to sauce. If you prefer, thinly slice or coarsely grate zucchini.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||83.6 g|
|- Sugars||12.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.0 g|