Japanese mayonnaise gives crispy chicken schnitzels a sweet edge. Served with avocado and crispy cabbage salad, texture & tastes are perfectly balanced.
- 3 x 250 g chicken breast fillets
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 ⅓ cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- Japanese mayonnaise, to serve
- 3 cups shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1 large carrot (150g), peeled and shredded
- 2 green spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Japanese-style roasted sesame dressing
- Cut each fillet horizontally through the side to give two thin pieces. Place each between two sheets of plastic wrap. Gently pound with a meat mallet to slightly flatten to about 1cm thick.
- Dust chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. One at a time, dip in combined eggs and garlic. Coat in crumbs, pressing on lightly. Place on a tray.
- Heat oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add chicken in two batches. Shallow-fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Cut diagonally in half.
- Meanwhile, make salad. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Serve chicken with salad. Top with avocado and mayonnaise.
If you prefer, replace fillets with six chicken steaks.
Japanese mayonnaise is rich, smooth and has a slightly sweet flavour.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||39.5 g|
|- Sugars||4.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.5 g|