Indulge your sweet tooth and impress your family at the same time with this chocolate & hazelnut, layered Easter cake. It's an Easter recipe that really wows!
- 225 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ⅔ cups self-raising flour
- large chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
- sifted cocoa powder, for dusting
- ½ cup pure cream
- 200 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, finely chopped at room temperature
- 175 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Combine butter, sugar, water and combined sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in eggs and flour until smooth. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pans for 20 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make icing, stir cream and chocolate in a medium, heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water, until smooth. Remove bowl from heat. Gradually whisk in butter until combined. Refrigerate for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until slightly thickened, a spreadable consistency and still glossy.
- Meanwhile, to make the buttercream, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in ½ cup sugar at a time until combined. Stir in spread.
- Trim tops of cakes to sit flat. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup buttercream. Repeat layering with remaining cakes, spreading 2/3 cup buttercream between each layer.
- Spread icing over top and side of cake. Decorate with eggs and cocoa powder.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||28.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||88.0 g|
|- Sugars||64.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.4 g|