Using chocolate, orange food dye and green apple licorice, this recipe for sweet 'carrots' will have kids begging for more vegies! They make great gifts, too.
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup full cream milk powder
- 250 g packet white chocolate bits
- ¾ cup pure icing sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 250 g vegetable shortening (copha), melted and cooled
- 2 x 375 g packets white chocolate melts, melted and cooled
- orange food colouring gel
- 300 g packet green apple flavoured licorice (twist-style)
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper, extending the paper up the sides. Place first five ingredients into a bowl. Pour over the vegetable shortening and mix well.
- Press evenly into the base of the prepared pan. Chill for 2 hr or until firm. Remove from pan and cut in half, then slice each half into 10 triangle wedges.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Take choc melts and add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and a few drops of orange food colouring.
- Working with one wedge at a time, insert a bamboo skewer into the thick end. Hold over bowl and spoon the melted chocolate over to coat. Place on prepared tray to set. Repeat with the remaining wedges. Cut the apple twists in half lengthways then, using scissors, snip ends to make carrot tops. Use remaining melted chocolate to stick one onto each carrot. Store in airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||15.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||54.7 g|
|- Sugars||47.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.4 g|