This Mexican red rice dish is full of herbs & spice, with paprika, oregano and cumin. It's a fab vegie side to have at a party or buffet dinner with friends.
- 2 red onions, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 green capsicums, chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups parboiled long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- ½ cup pitted Sicilian olives
- Place onions, capsicum and tomatoes in an ovenproof casserole dish (12- cup capacity). Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over combined oil, paprika and oregano. Toss well.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven. Stir in rice, stock and juice. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from oven. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with olives.
For an added burst of flavour, stir through 2 chopped chorizos and roast with the vegetables.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||27.4 g|
|- Sugars||5.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.4 g|