Using coconut milk and desiccated coconut, these tropical pikelets taste amazing topped with jam and cream – they're perfect for a high tea or with a cuppa.
- 165 ml canned coconut milk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- melted unsalted butter, for greasing
- strawberry jam, to serve
- whipped cream, to serve
- Place coconut milk, milk, egg and vanilla in a medium jug. Whisk until smooth.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in coconut and sugar. Whisk in milk mixture until smooth.
- Heat a greased, large, non-stick frying pan with melted butter over a medium heat. Spoon 1 tbsp batter into pan. Repeat to make five pikelets.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn over. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden underneath. Remove. Repeat to make 24 pikelets in total.
- Serve warm or cold pikelets with jam and whipped cream.
Pikelets can be made up to three days ahead. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||6.9 g|
|- Sugars||1.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.3 g|