Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
With a crunchy crust and a wickedly fudgy interior, this dessert makes the perfect ending to a special meal for a crowd – you need only a small slice each.
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 cup finely chopped dried figs
- 3 cups flaked almonds
- 1 cup roasted ground hazelnuts, or extra ½ cup flaked almonds
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
- 200 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 140°C and line base and sides of a medium (23cm diameter) springform cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large, clean bowl beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually beat in sugar until glossy, thick and smooth (about 5-6 minutes). Gently fold in dates, figs, almonds, ground hazelnuts, orange zest and chocolate (do not beat as the oils in the nuts and chocolate will collapse the meringue).
- Pour into prepared tin, smooth top and bake until set and lightly golden (1¼ hours). Allow to cool in the tin. For easy cutting, chill before slicing with a serrated knife. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||43.2 g|
|- Sugars||39.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.8 g|