Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
These delicious meatballs can be made with either chicken or lamb and are the perfect addition to a weekend picnic, or whip up a big batch for your next party!
- 400 g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 fat clove garlic, roughly chopped
- finely zested rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 400 g lean lamb mince
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 pinch sumac
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 shredded mint leaves
- 1 pinch salt
- lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place all ingredients except mince in a food processor and blend to a smoothish paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in mince with a wooden spoon or by hand.
- Roll into walnut-sized balls and place in an oven dish lined with baking paper for easy clean-up.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, shaking from time to time until evenly browned.
- Serve meatballs warm or at room temperature with yoghurt dip and a wedge of lemon (below).
- To make yoghurt dip combine, in a small bowl, plain yoghurt, sumac, cumin, lemon juice, mint leaves, and salt.
These meatballs can also be made with chicken mince but if transporting to a picnic ensure the cooked balls are completely chilled – chicken is much more prone to bacterial contamination than lamb.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||1.5 g|
|- Sugars||0.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.6 g|