This is a delicious way to reinvent a family favourite! The layered cake is ideal for afternoon tea, with layers of cream, morello cherries & chocolate sponge.
- 200 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ⅓ cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, plus extra to decorate
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar mixture
- 670 g canned morello cherries
- dark chocolate curls, to decorate
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, caster sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in milk and combined sifted flour and cocoa, in two batches, until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Beat cream and icing sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Drain cherries, reserving 2 tbsp of the liquid. Pat cherries dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- To assemble, cut cake in half horizontally. Brush cut-side of both layers with reserved cherry liquid. Place one layer, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Spread over half the cream. Top with half the cherries. Place remaining cake, cut-side down, on top. Spread over remaining cream. Scatter over remaining cherries.
- Decorate with chocolate curls. Dust with sifted extra cocoa.
To make curls, spread 100g melted chocolate melts over the back of an oven tray into an 18cm x 26cm rectangle. Stand until set. Using an egg slide, push chocolate from the long side closest to you to the other side of the tray, to form curls.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||19.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||74.3 g|
|- Sugars||56.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|