Experience a sweet and salty sensation with these caramel pretzel cupcakes – vanilla bean and brown sugar buttercake, topped with creamy caramel topping…
- 200 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 ⅔ cups self-raising flour
- mini pretzels, to decorate
- caramel topping, to decorate
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- ⅓ cup caramel topping
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- To make cupcakes, beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in milk and flour in two batches until combined. Divide evenly among cases.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in same, clean bowl of electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth. Stir in caramel.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle. Pipe onto cupcakes. Decorate with pretzel twists. Drizzle with caramel.
We used Hershey’s Caramel Topping, available from major supermarkets, but any caramel topping can be used.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||20.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||55.4 g|
|- Sugars||40.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.5 g|