Make a beautiful Easter treat to share with friends and family over the Easter break. Perfect for brekkie or with a cup of tea, it's a doughy chocolatey dream…
- 2 ½ cups plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup warm water
- 70 g salted butter, cubed, room temperature, plus extra to serve
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g butter
- ¼ cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
- ⅔ cup (90g) finely chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add sugar and yeast and stir until combined. Add eggs and water and stir until mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured surface for 3 minutes or until smooth.
- In a lightly oiled bowl (to avoid sticking), gradually knead in butter, 2 cubes at a time. Cover and sit in a warm place for 2 hours or until dough has tripled in size.
- To make filling; put chocolate and butter in a medium glass heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure bowl does not touch water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in icing sugar, cinnamon and zest until combined.
- Punch down dough. Knead on a floured surface until just smooth. Roll out to 40cm x 28cm. Spread chocolate mixture over dough, leaving a 2cm border at one short end. Moisten that end with water. Sprinkle over pecans. Roll up from short side ending at moist end. Press edges to seal.
- Slide dough onto a tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes, to set chocolate and make it easier to cut. Grease and line a 23.5cm x 10.5cm loaf pan with baking paper. Cut dough in half lengthways (down the centre of roll) to expose chocolate layers. Plait two halves together by crossing them over. Place babka in loaf pan, tucking in ends. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until babka has risen slightly. Preheat oven to 190°C. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- To make glaze; place sugar and water on a medium high heat in a saucepan. Stir to dissolve, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour and brush syrup on top of hot babka. Cool. Serve with butter.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||45.2 g|
|- Sugars||20.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|