These vegetarian Mexican tacos are stuffed with haloumi, sour cream, and canned black beans, and served with a tomato, garlic and jalepeno salsa salad.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g haloumi, thinly sliced
- 200 g canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- 4 tortillas, warmed
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- chilli sauce, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
Mexican tomato salsa
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeño pepper slices, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Mix Mexican tomato salsa ingredients together in a medium bowl and season. Cover and set aside.
- Combine cumin, smoked paprika and 1 tbsp of the oil in a small bowl, then rub all over haloumi.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry haloumi 1½ minutes each side or until golden and crusted on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over a medium heat and add remaining oil then pour in beans. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon a little of the beans onto each tortilla. Add a few slices of haloumi, a little sour cream and tomato salsa and a drizzle of chilli sauce. Fold in half and serve with lime wedges.
Add a small can of drained corn kernels to pan when heating up beans, for extra nutrients, colour and sweetness.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||31.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||69.4 g|
|- Sugars||14.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||12.5 g|