Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
With quality ingredients such as plump duck legs it’s very simple to pull together a glamorous dish like this. It's a great main meal for a dinner party.
- 8 duck legs
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts, to serve
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
- 1.5 kg fresh beetroots, peeled and cut into 1.5 cm cubes, or a mix of beetroot and carrot
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Salt and pepper, to season
- To prepare the allspice beetroots, preheat oven to 200°C. Mix together beetroot and carrots, if using, olive oil, maple syrup, orange zest and juice, allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Spread out in a single layer in a large roasting dish. Bake until tender (about 45 minutes). Serve hot or at room temperature.
- To cook the duck, preheat oven to 220°C. Place duck pieces skin side up in a very large roasting dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, drain off fat and discard.
- Pour rice vinegar and pineapple juice over the duck and season with salt and pepper. Reduce oven to 200°C and bake until golden and very tender (about 40-45 minutes). Lift duck out of dish and discard cooking liquids (or reduce to a jus if desired).
- To serve, place allspice beetroot on a large platter and arrange duck on top. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts and mint leaves.
This sweet, spicy recipe also works well with chicken legs and the allspice beetroots are a fabulous side dish with any roast.
Allspice beetroots can be cooked ahead of time and reheated, or put in the oven to cook while the duck is in its second stage of cooking.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||23.6 g|
|- Sugars||19.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.1 g|