Nothing beats getting together with the family and enjoying a massive roast. With 24 hours of marinating time, this succulent cut is soaked in fruity flavour.
- 1 x 1.5 kg pork Scotch fillet (rib eye - loin cut from around neck) with extra 30cm extra skin cut from shoulder to wrap around pork fully, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted, finely ground
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked apple slices (optional)
- oil, to rub over skin
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (or use an extra onion)
- 2 cups white wine or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 left whole small apples, preferably tart flavour
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Lay pork on bench, skin side down. Sprinkle meat with half the ground fennel and season with salt and pepper. Place apple slices on top of meat then roll up to fully enclose with the skin. Secure with kitchen string at 2cm / 1 inch intervals. Rub pork skin with a little oil then rub in remaining fennel seed and some salt. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 220°C. Place onions and fennel in a large baking dish with wine, balsamic vinegar and sugar and put pork on top. Bake about 45 minutes or until skin starts to bubble. Reduce heat to 160°C. Run a sharp knife around the equator of the apples to cut through the skin and place them around the pork.
- Cook a further 1 3/4-2 hours or until pork reaches an internal temperature of 70°C / 160°F, or when the juices run clear when skewered. Add an extra cup of water to roasting pan if needed. Remove meat and apples from dish, cover and set aside about 10 minutes in a warm place. Skim off any fat from dish. Add cornflour mixture to vegetable juices and stir over heat until lightly thickened. Serve pork with roasted apple and thickened juices. Baked kumara make a nice accompaniment.
Ask a butcher to prepare the roast with extra scored skin attached, or buy a separate piece of belly skin to roll the pork in.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.7 g|
|- Sugars||12.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.4 g|