Sweet, creamy ice-cream, with chunky bits of crunchy pistachio nuts. A refreshing dessert at a summer's dinner party, or to have on a hot day in a waffle cone.
- 1/8 tsp pistachio or almond essence
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 400 ml milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1- 2 drops liquid green food colouring
- chopped pistachios, to garnish (optional)
- If you have an ice-cream maker that requires the container to be frozen, make sure it has been in the freezer overnight. Put pistachios in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Remove ¼ cup and reserve. Process remaining pistachios until finely ground.
- Put milk and ground pistachios in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Put yolks and sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes until thick and creamy. With motor running, slowly drizzle in hot milk mixture, while frequently scraping down sides of bowl. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl and stand over a medium saucepan of simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl doesn’t touch water.
- Stir frequently until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool. Sit bowl in a large bowl of cold water with plenty of ice cubes to chill quickly, or refrigerate for at least 6 hours until well chilled (see note, below).
- Stir cream into chilled custard. Add a few drops of colouring to tint a pale green colour. Churn in ice-cream machine according to directions for 25 minutes or until a soft-serve consistency. Add reserved chopped pistachios while churning to combine.
- vTransfer ice-cream to a suitable container, seal and freeze overnight. Serve garnished with extra pistachios.
It is important pistachio custard is chilled before adding to churn or it won’t form ice crystals and thicken into ice-cream.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||103.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||182.9 g|
|- Sugars||168.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.0 g|