Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
There is something about a homemade loaf of fresh bread that speaks yards about home and hearth. And with olives and capers, this easy recipe is a gem!
- 250 g potatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 packed cup, mashed potato (you can use leftovers)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 ½ tsp dry yeast
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 ½ - 5 cups plain flour
- olive oil, to knead
- ½ cup olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Sea salt, to take
- 2 tbsp oil, to drizzle
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain thoroughly, dry over heat in pan to evaporate excess water and mash until fine (don’t use a food processor or potato will go gluey). Cool slightly then mix with warm water and yeast. (If using leftover mash, warm it a little in the microwave or mix with hot water before adding yeast). Stand for a couple of minutes to allow yeast to start working.
- Mix in oil, salt and three-quarters of the flour until smooth, then roughly mix in remaining flour. Knead on an oiled bench about 20 times until dough comes together smoothly. It will be very sticky. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (about 40 minutes) or refrigerate overnight to slowly rise.
- Divide dough into 2 and form each half into a flat, oblong loaf on lightly oiled trays. Leave to rise again in a warm place for 30 minutes or until dough is risen and puffy. Scatter topping ingredients over. Dimple the dough with your fingertips, sprinkle with a little salt and drizzle over oil. Bake at 220°C for about 20 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
Don’t be tempted to keep adding flour – the dough should be very sticky and soft. This wetness ensures a much lighter bread. The dough can be frozen raw – let it rise then punch down, put in a clean plastic bag and freeze. It is an excellent pizza base and also makes the best bread sticks.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||461.5 g|
|- Sugars||3.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||24.5 g|