Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
The inclusion of apple makes these homemade sausage rolls light and moist. Serve these up at your next party and guests will be delightfully surprised.
- 400 g lean lamb mince
- 250 g coarsely ground sausage mince
- 1 apple, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 eggs, 1 seperated
- 1 small onion, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp fruit chutney, or tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to season
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place the mince and sausage meat in a large bowl with the grated apple, whole egg and egg white, onion, garlic, herbs, chutney or tomato sauce, salt, pepper and chilli. Mix with a large spoon until evenly incorporated.
- Place the two pastry sheets on a work surface. Place half the meat mixture on each pastry sheet, forming a mound the length of the pastry about 6cm in from one edge.
- Roll up the pastry to fully enclose the filling. Cut each roll into 3 slices (or up to 6 slices if you want small sausage rolls), and place on the lined baking tray seam side down.
- Use a sharp knife to slash 2 or 3 lines across the top of each sausage roll to allow the steam to escape. Make a glaze by mixing the egg yolk with 1 tbsp water. Brush over the pastry.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Check in the last 10 minutes of cooking and if any liquids have come out of the rolls, soak them up with a paper towel so the pastry stays crisp.
You could add different flavourings to the base mixture of meat, apple, egg and onion – make a Greek version with olives, garlic, rosemary and feta or an Italian option with basil, sundried tomatoes and garlic. If you can’t find good quality sausage meat, cut open the skins of your favourite sausages and squeeze out the meat
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.4 g|
|- Sugars||2.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.1 g|