Whether you're looking for something to snack on or something for afternoon tea, these cherry jam & almond tarts will become a popular request from your guests!
- 375 g pack puff pastry
- 75 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 12 rounded tsps morello cherry jam
- 75 g plain sponge or Madeira cake
- 100 g butter, softened
- 75 g ground almonds
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 25 g flaked almonds
- 100 g icing sugar, sieved, to decorate
- Very thinly roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out 12 × 9cm circles with a fluted cutter, if you have one, and use to line a bun tin. Spread 1 rounded tsp of the cherry jam in the bottom of each tart.
- Whizz the cake to crumbs in a food processor, then tip into a mixing bowl and add the flour, butter, ground almonds, caster sugar, eggs and almond extract. Beat together until smooth, then divide between the tarts, spreading a little with the back of a teaspoon to cover the jam. Scatter over the flaked almonds and open-freeze for 2 hrs, then wrap well in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan with a baking sheet in it. Unwrap the tarts from the freezer and loosely top with a sheet of foil. Bake on the heated baking sheet for 30-40 mins until golden, removing the foil halfway. Cool the tarts a little, then add a splash of water into the icing sugar to make a runny icing. Drizzle over the tarts and leave to set.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||36.9 g|
|- Sugars||17.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|