A bowl of heaven for a special occasion, brunch or lunch – you can't go wrong with this salad. Remove the bread or find a substitute to make it gluten-free!
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 handful chives, snipped (optional)
- 4 thick dry cured smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 2 slices good white crusty bread (ideally sourdough)
- 2 good handfuls watercress, thick stems removed
- Put the eggs in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 mins, then lift into a bowl of iced water and cool completely. Very carefully peel away the shells. Leave the eggs in the iced water until you finish the recipe, or for up to 1 hr ahead.
- Mix the shallot with the vinegar and a pinch of salt, then set aside for a few minutes to soften. Whisk in the mustard, oil and chives, if using, to make a dressing.
- Heat the grill to low-medium and cook the bacon until crisp right through. Remove the bacon, then brush the bacon juice and fat all over the bread. Grill the bread for about 1 min on each side until crisp, then cut into soldiers and keep warm.
- Just before serving, bring the pan of water back to the boil and add the eggs. Boil for 1 min to reheat. Toss the dressing with the watercress and divide between 2 plates. Top with an egg and 2 rashers of bacon, with the toast to the side. The egg yolks will still be runny inside.
If you have more than one box of eggs to choose from, use the older ones. You’ll find them easier to peel.
This recipe is…
- Raw food
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||17.1 g|
|- Sugars||3.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.7 g|