These delicious vegetarian burgers swap meat for 'meaty' hero ingredient eggplant. With halloumi, it's filling and fabulous – perfect for brunch or a light lunch.
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, very finely sliced
- ½ eggplant, cut into 8 round slices
- 250 g block halloumi, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped
- 2 tsp harissa
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved and lightly toasted
- 4 tbsp houmous
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil to a pan and tip in the onions. Cook over a high heat for a few mins, then turn down the heat and cook until soft and golden – about 8 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat another tbsp of oil and fry the eggplant for a few mins on each side until tender. Set aside. In the remaining oil, fry the halloumi until golden.
- Tip the brown sugar, pepper and harissa into the onions. Cook for 1 min until the sugar has melted. While the relish is cooking, spread the rolls with houmous, laying halloumi and eggplant slices on top. Spoon the sticky, spicy relish over and serve.
TIP Dice up the remaining eggplant, fry in olive oil and add to a tomato-based pasta sauce or a veggie omelette.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||48.8 g|
|- Sugars||11.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.0 g|