When you start with the best-quality (and fresh) ingredients, even a simple dish like this will give you the flavours & lightness you get in a good restaurant.
FOR THE CRAB MAYONNAISE
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 200 ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 300 g freshly picked white crabmeat
FOR THE MELBA TOAST
- 2 thick slices white bread
FOR THE HERB SALAD
- 1 large handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 large handful tarragon sprigs
- 1 large handful chervil
- 1 shallot, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tbsp small capers in brine, drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar, plus extra to serve
- To make the crab mayonnaise, put the egg yolk and mustard in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add a drop of the oil and whisk until completely combined. Gradually add the oil, a drop at a time, then in a thin trickle, whisking continuously until you have a thick mayonnaise. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice, stir in the crabmeat and season to taste. This mix can be made a few hours ahead and kept in the fridge.
- For the Melba toast, heat the grill to high. Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast on both sides until lightly browned. Cut the crusts off the toast, then carefully cut through the middle of each slice horizontally to give you 2 thin slices. Cut each of these into 4 triangles. Put the triangles, untoasted-side up, on the baking sheet and place back under the grill to brown – if they curl up slightly, all the better. The toast can be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container.
- Assemble the herb salad just before serving: put all the herbs in a bowl, add the shallot and capers, then dress with olive oil and vinegar. Toss everything together until well mixed and you’re ready to serve.
- Lightly place a tall pile of salad in the middle of each plate.
- Arrange three slices of Melba toast around the plate. Three slices looks more elegant than four.
- Spoon a small mound of the crab mix between the toast slices. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar, and serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||15.0 g|
|- Sugars||2.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.9 g|