Bring together your fav summer berries in this easy-to-make, and healthy, dessert. Perfect for date night or a warm summers night at home with your fav drink!
- 350 g mixed berries, fresh or frozen (we used raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blueberries and strawberries)
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- zest 1 lemon
- sunflower oil, for greasing
- 3- 4 slices slightly stale white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- 2 tsp icing sugar, sifted
- Tip all the berries, apart from the strawberries, into a saucepan. Sprinkle over the sugar and stir. Set over a low heat and cook until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit has started to release its juices. Increase the heat, bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer for 2 mins until the fruit is soft and you have lots of deep red juices. Quarter the strawberries and stir into the berries, along with the lemon zest. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the fruit through a sieve, reserving the juices.
- Meanwhile, lightly oil 2 × 175ml dariole moulds (or 2 large teacups) and line with plastic wrap. Using a pastry cutter, stamp out 2 small circles of bread to fit in the base of each mould. Dip one side into the reserved juices while still hot, and place, juice-side down, into the bottom of the lined mould. Cut another 2 larger circles from the bread, and slice the remainder into 2.5cm-wide strips that are the same height as the mould. Dip the strips into the juices and use to line the sides of the moulds in the same way, pressing each piece in place and overlapping slightly.
- Pack the strained fruit into the bread-lined moulds, reserving some fruit and juices for serving. Fold over any strips of bread that protrude from the mould, then dip the final 2 circles of bread in the juices and top the puddings to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and push down firmly with the palm of your hand. Pop in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hrs, preferably overnight.
- When ready to serve, whip together the cream and icing sugar. Turn the puddings out onto plates, top with the reserved fruit and juices, and serve with the sugared cream.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||59.6 g|
|- Sugars||32.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||13.2 g|