Spice up your supper with this simple and easy-to-follow recipe. Once you've tasted this delicious dhal, you will instantly want to make this your weekly meal!
- 100 g red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2cm slices
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
- lime or mango chutney, to serve
- a few coriander leaves, to serve (optional)
- Cover the lentils, turmeric and tamarind paste with 500ml water. Add some salt and boil for 15 mins or until very soft. Skim off any foam that forms on the top. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook the onion, garlic and ginger until golden, about 5 mins.
- Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins. Pour in the lentil mixture and cook for another 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Rub the remaining oil over the aubergine slices and season. Cook for 2-3 mins each side until cooked through and charred. Eat with basmati rice, lime or mango chutney and a sprinkling of coriander, if you like.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||30.4 g|
|- Sugars||13.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||23.7 g|