This Thai dish has been described as being flavoured with cloves, cardamom & potato. Make this curry your own, by mixing the veg, as long as you keep the spuds!
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds only
- ⅓ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 dried bird's-eye chillies
- 100 g shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 g ginger
- 1 green chilli, deseeded, depending on taste
- 2 lemongrass stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 200 g new potatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cauliflower, broken into florets
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 200 g green beans
- ½ x 400 g can chickpeas, drained
- boiled rice, to serve
FOR THE CUCUMBER CORIANDER SALSA
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juice only
- To make the curry paste, grind all the dry spices together in a spice grinder or use a mortar and pestle. Put the shallots, garlic, ginger, green chilli, lemongrass and half the coriander in a food processor and whizz until you get a fine paste.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, about 6-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat half the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the cauliflower and green beans, and stir-fry until the vegetables are starting to soften slightly.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pan over a medium heat, then fry the paste for 5 mins. Add 2 tbsp of the dry spice mix and cook for 2 mins. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Drain the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes, chickpeas and stir-fried veg to the coconut milk, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins over a low heat. You might need to add a little bit more water from time to time to make the sauce richly wet.
- While the curry is cooking, make the salsa in a bowl by combining the cucumber, spring onion, tomato, coriander and half the lime juice.
- Once the curry is cooked, serve with boiled rice, a spoonful of the salsa and the rest of the lime juice poured over.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||20.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||25.7 g|
|- Sugars||6.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||10.2 g|