Spend time in the kitchen this weekend, and prepare a healthy chicken soup. Freezer-friendly and perfect for the evening dinner rush – or lunch alternative!
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 corn on the cobs, corn kernels cut off
- 200 g vermicelli noodles
- small bunch parsley, finely chopped
FOR THE STOCK
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 leek, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- parsley stalks
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable bouillon or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1.3 kg chicken
- Put all the stock ingredients and the chicken in a very large saucepan, then cover everything with about 3 litres cold water. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 1 hr-1½ hrs, until the chicken is cooked through. Skim off any froth every 20 mins or so. Remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Strain the stock through a sieve, skimming off as much fat as you can.
- Rinse out the pan and put the stock back in, then simmer on a high heat until reduced a little – you need about 2 litres in total. Add the carrots and leeks, then simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, shred the meat from the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Add to the pan with the sweetcorn. Add the vermicelli noodles, unless you want to freeze the soup, and simmer for about 7 mins more, until the corn and pasta is cooked. Ladle into bowls, sprinkled with the parsley. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely before freezing (see tip), and when you’re ready to eat, allow the soup to defrost before bringing it back to a gentle simmer in a pan. Add the noodles and simmer until cooked.
By freezing the soup in small portions in freezer bags or tubs, they will defrost quicker. Allow to defrost overnight in the fridge, or for a few hours at room temperature. You can freeze the chopped parsley in a small bag: just sprinkle into the soup with the noodles.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||35.6 g|
|- Sugars||7.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.0 g|