Make the most of avocados this season. Adding them to a these tortillas with crispy chicken will allow you to enjoy smashed avocado in a whole new wrap!
- 2 large, very ripe avocados
- juice 1 lemon
- 8 seeded soft tortillas or your favourite flatbreads, warmed
- small bunch coriander, to serve
FOR THE ONIONS
- 1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 3-4 chunky strips
- 284 ml pot buttermilk
- 85 g polenta or cornmeal
- 85 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or normal salt)
- sunflower oil, for shallow-frying
- Mix the chicken strips with the buttermilk and chill for about half a day.
- Mix all the onion ingredients, season with salt and set aside to marinate for at least 30 mins or up to half a day.
- Mix together the polenta or cornmeal, flour, sesame seeds, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and garlic salt on a plate. Heat 2cm sunflower oil in a deep frying pan (or slightly more in a big wok) until a cube of bread browns in 1 min. Lift the chicken from the buttermilk and drop into the flour mix, tossing to coat well. Add about 3 chicken strips at a time to the oil and fry, turning, until golden on all sides and just cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper while you fry the rest.
- Halve and stone each avocado, scrape out the flesh into a bowl with the lemon juice and some seasoning, and very roughly smash together with the back of a spoon. Spread over the warm tortillas or flatbreads, top with the crispy chicken, pickled onions and some coriander, and roll up to tuck in.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||118.6 g|
|- Sugars||26.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||14.9 g|