Dairy free and delicious – this orange cake has the addition of cinnamon sticks, adding to the unique flavours. Perfect with a cup of tea after a long day!
- 200 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300 g ground almonds
- 250 g xylitol or other natural sweetener (see tip)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp agave syrup for the cake, plus 5 tbsp for the syrup
- zest and juice 1 large orange
- zest and juice ½ lemon
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper. Mix the almonds, xylitol and baking powder in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sunflower oil, 2 tsp agave syrup and both zests. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and combine together.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hr 10 mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the top looks like it is going to burn – usually after about 40 mins – cover with foil, being careful not to press onto the cake. Allow to cool slightly while you make a syrup.
- Put the remaining agave syrup, orange and lemon juices, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins.
- While the cake is warm, turn it out onto a plate, drizzle the syrup over and allow it to steep in. If it is not all absorbed, set it aside to drizzle over later. Before serving, pile the cinnamon sticks and cloves on top of the cake.
What is xylitol?
This sweetener, which is extracted from plants, fruits and vegetables, tastes as sweet as sugar but has less of an effect on blood sugar levels, and fewer calories. You can buy it from healthfood shops or online.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.4 g|
|- Sugars||1.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.2 g|