Make the sauce in advance and freeze for when needed. Then simply bake the pork, add the sauce and serve with rice for an easy and filling weeknight meal.
- 200 g short-grain or sushi rice, rinsed
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
- 450 g pork fillet, trimmed and cut into 8 pieces
- coriander sprigs, to garnish (optional)
- pickled ginger, to serve (optional)
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 eating apples, such as Braeburn, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, carrot and apples. Cover and cook gently for 10 mins until softened, stirring a couple of times. Uncover the pan, turn up the heat, add the garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the curry powder and ginger. Cook for 1 min more, then stir in the tomato purée, honey, soy and cornflour. Gradually stir in the stock and simmer for 5 mins until the vegetables are totally soft and the sauce has thickened. Blitz with a blender or in a liquidiser until smooth, then season to taste with the sesame oil, salt and pepper. The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- While the sauce is cooking, put the pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and bash with a rolling pin until the meat is about 1cm thick. In a shallow bowl, rub together the crumbs, turmeric and oil with some seasoning. Beat the egg white with a fork until a little frothy and have a non-stick baking tray ready.
- Put the rice in a saucepan with 400ml cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, cover, then simmer for 10 mins. Take off the heat and set aside until ready to serve the pork.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan. Dip each piece of pork into the egg, then the crumbs, pressing them onto the surface before transferring the meat to the tray. Bake the pork for 10-15 mins or until golden and crisp, turning once if needed. Serve with the rice and katsu sauce, garnished with coriander, if using, plus pickled ginger, if you like.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||75.5 g|
|- Sugars||13.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.1 g|